The Austwick Amble Fell Race will once again be held in conjunction with the village’s Street Market on Monday 27th May 2024. We once again welcome runners to this very popular bank holiday event !
Junior races start at 11.20am (see details below) and the senior race at 1.00pm.
The current record for men is 48:25 (set by Andy Norman of Altrincham & District AC in 2023) and for women it is 56:03 (set by Holly Page in 2015).
This year we are taking advance entries for the senior race via SiEntries (see below) although entries on the day will still be accepted up to the limit of 200 runners.
Please note that entering in advance will save you money ! (£8 for advance entries and £12 for entries on the day).
The senior race starts and finishes in Austwick village centre (GR768684). Parking can be found on the approach roads to the village from the A65 although the centre of the village will be closed to traffic.
The senior race is run over a loop circuit of approximately 8 miles/13 km and covers a total ascent of 1200 ft/370m.
The outward journey over the first 4 miles passes through the beautiful Crummockdale limestone scenery and briefly joins Sulber Nick (which connects the Yorkshire peaks of Pen-y-Ghent and Ingleborough). The return leg descends slowly back through spectacular scenery to Austwick, and to the start point on the village green.
The route this year will be the same as in previous years with the closing section on tarmac road.
In 2023, 117 runners completed the senior race.
– JUNIOR RACES (please note age-groups)
This year there will be junior races as below. Please note the early start time of 11.20am.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS A MINIMUM AGE LIMIT OF 8 YEARS OLD ON THE DAY FOR THESE RACES IN ORDER TO COMPLY WITH FRA RULES. NO EXCEPTIONS I’M AFRAID – APOLOGIES FOR ANY DISAPPOINTMENT THIS CAUSES.
NB: Ages are as at 31/12/24 as per FRA rules
11:20am Under 11s. Distance 2k. Runners MUST be over 8 on the day as per FRA rules.
11:45am Under 13s (2.53k).
12:15pm Under 15s (3.17k)
12:15pm Under 17s (4.31k)
12:15pm Under 19s (4.31k)
Please note that the Under 11 race will start from Town Head Lane but finish in the usual place by the Gamecock pub on the village green. All other races start and finish from the village green.
The Under 11 race will set off at 11:20am. The start will be slightly out of the village on Town Head Lane by the junction with Hall Close. Runners will proceed up Town Head Lane (steep uphill) then turn left into Thwaite Lane at the top of the hill and immeditely right into Dear Bought Plantation field. They will follow flags in the field for 360m until they reach a marked turnaround point. From here they return by the same route but finish on the village green.
The Under 13 race will set off at 11:45 am. Under 13s will run out of the village, turning left up Townhead Lane. At the top of a steep climb on tarmac, they will reach the crossroads with Thwaite Lane where they will turn left then almost immediately right into a field (Dear Bought Plantation Field). Under 13s will then complete a clockwise circuit of the field – keeping marker flags on their right at all times. On completing the circuit of the field, they will be directed out of the field and back down Townhead Lane, retracing the outwood route to the finish on the village green.
The Under 15s, Under 17s and Under 19s will set off together at 12.15pm but the Under 15 route is shorter (as described below).
The Under 15s (who will be wearing distinctive numbers) will follow the clockwise circuit to start with but at the far end of the field will be directed through a narrow gate and will then briefly follow the senior & U17s route up a short climb to a finger post that will be marshaled. At the finger post, they will then be directed back down the outward route, through the gate and into Dear Bought Plantation Field where they will complete the clockwise circuit of the field before returning to the finish on the village green.
The Under 17 and Under 19 The course will be the same for both age-groups (but there will be separate prizes awarded). Runners will follow the same route as the Under 15s but will continue beyond the finger-post (turnaround point for Under 15s) until they reach Checkpoint 1 of the senior race (just before a wall and ladder-stile). They will then be directed to return to the village following the same route (no lap of the Dear Bought Plantation Field).
The U11 race is 2k. The record is 7m25s (Calum McGoldrick – Settle Harriers) set in 2023. The girls record is 7m42s (Poppie Phillipeon – Birtley AC) set in 2022.
The U13 race is 2.53k The course record is 9mins 26secs (James Bowen – Ambleside AC) set in 2016. The Girls record is 9m50s (Poppie Phillipson – Birtley AC) set in 2023.
The U15 race is approx 3.17k. The record is held by Jack Sanderson (Settle Harriers) with 11:45 set in 2022. The Girls record is 14m12s (Lottie Hesketh – Blackburn Harriers) set in 2023.
The U17 & U19 races are approx 4.31k. The fastest time is 17mins 48secs set by Sebastian Segger-Staveley of Settle Harriers in 2018. The Girls record is 18:29 (Emily Gibbins – Ilkley H) set in 2022.
Registration is open from 10.15 am on the village green. Please register early !
– ENTRY FEES
You can enter the senior and junior races in advance via SiEntries (see above) or on the day (subject to the 200 runner limit). Entry fees are…
– £8 for seniors if paid in advance via SiEntries or
– £12 for senior entry on the day
– £3 for juniors in advance or on the day
The first three senior men and women receive prizes valued £30, £20, £15 respectively.
Bonus of £50 for the men and women’s race winners if the respective course records are broken
The first 3 junior boys and girls in each age-category also receive £6, £4, £3 respectively (£4,£3,£2 for Under 11s)
First man and woman over 40 receive a prize – TBC
First man and woman over 50 receives a prize – TBC
First man and woman over 60 receives a prize – TBC
– COURSE MARKING ETC
Refreshments are available on the course at Crummack Farm (approx 6 mile point) and on the village green.
First Aid cover will be provided by Event Medical Services on the village green.
The race circuit will be well marked by strategically placed flags, and race marshals will be stationed at 5 checkpoints to identify all runners by number. Marshals will have phone or radio contact with the village green and with each other.
Clapham Cave Rescue Organisation (CRO) have been advised of the race details and will be on standby.
The roads through the village will be closed to traffic for the duration of the fell race and Street Market
– SAFETY RULES FOR COMPETITORS IN THE AUSTWICK AMBLE
1. The Austwick Amble fell race is run under Fell Runners Association (FRA) rules and safety guidelines which you should familiarize yourself. Please click on the link below
2. All race participants must register and collect a number from the Registration Desk.
3. Once you have received your number, you are in the race! If you subsequently decide not to start the race, you must inform a race official and return your number. If you start the race then retire, you must inform the nearest marshal and you must notify race officials at the start/finish area as soon as possible.
4. Your number must be pinned to your race vest on the chest area. The number must be visible to race officials at all times during the race. Do not fold or mutilate the number. Please be prepared to call out your number if asked to do so by a race official.
5. You are required to carry “full standard kit” as required by the FRA. This means that you must carry the following during the race.
– Waterproof whole body cover
(Race organisers may relax these conditions if the local weather forecast allows. We will notify you on the day if we do relax these conditions).
6. There are 5 checkpoints in the race where your number will be recorded by race officials. Ensure your number is visible and call out your number if asked to do so.
7. Please familiarise yourself with the race route. Maps of the course can be accessed on this website and will be on view at the Registration tent. Where the route is marked by flags, you must follow the route as flagged.
8. If you encounter an injured runner, please lend assistance if you can and report the injury to the nearest race marshal.
9. Fell running is hazardous! We (as organisers) will do the best we can to make the event as safe as practicable, but you (as a competitor) must accept primary responsibility for your own safety on the fells.
Enjoy your run and be safe !
– Austwick Amble Race Routes
For maps of the various courses, please click on the links below :
Senior Race Checkpoints
Start / Finish : Austwick village green. Clockwise circuit direction.
Checkpoint #1 Ladder stile GR 766702
Checkpoint #2 Cairn GR 766718
Checkpoint # 3 Nick Pot GR 770737
Checkpoint # 4a Sulber Nick finger post GR 778735
Checkpoint # 4b Sulber Gate
Checkpoint # 5 Crummack Farm GR 772715
– Austwick Amble Entry Forms
We would much prefer entries to be made in advance via SiEntries up until the closing date of Saturday 27th May. After that, please click on the links below for entry forms that can be printed out, completed & handed in at registration. Please note that senior entries on the day (up to the race limit of 200) will be £10.00 (£7 in advance). Juniors entries are £3.00