AUSTWICK AMBLE AND JUNIOR FELL RACES
MONDAY 26TH MAY 2014
- RACE INFORMATION
The Austwick Amble Fell Race will once again be held in conjunction with the village's Street Market on Monday 26th May 2014.
The senior race starts and finishes in Austwick village centre (GR768684). Parking can be found on the approach roads to the village from the A65 although the centre of the village will be closed to traffic.
The senior race is run over a loop circuit of approximately 8 miles/13 km and covers a total ascent of 1200 ft/370m.
The outward journey over the first 4 miles passes through the beautiful Crummockdale limestone scenery and briefly joins Sulber Nick (which connects the Yorkshire peaks of Pen-y-Ghent and Ingleborough). The return leg descends slowly back through spectacular scenery to Austwick, and to the start point on the village green.
Last year the course was modified slightly in the closing stages to remove some of the tarmac section - replacing it with a route over fields and stiles. The overall length of the race was largely unaffected. Junior races were unaffected. The route in 2014 will be the same as last year and the closing section will be clearly flagged and marshalled.
The fastest recorded times on the pre 2013 course were 48:52 (men – Lee.Athersmith - 2011) and 57:05 (women – C Leah - 2006).
The current course record holder is Lee Athersmith who ran 48mins: 44sec last year. For the ladies, the record is held by Holly Page with a time of 60mins: 04 sec.
In 2014 over 160 runners completed the senior race.
- JUNIOR RACES
The Junior U16 race is run over a shorter distance of 2.25 miles / 4km, and runners are required to reach checkpoint #1 before returning to the village. Fastest time is approx 15 minutes.
The Junior U12 race is approx 1.25 miles / 2km. Fastest time is approx 12 minutes.
The course is not recommended for children under the age of 8 years.
- START TIMES AND REGISTRATION
The U12 Juniors start at 11:45am.
The U16 Juniors start at 12:15pm.
The Seniors start at 1pm.
Registration is open from 10.30 am on the village green. Please register early!
- ENTRY FEES
Entry fees ar payable on the day
- £5 for seniors
- £1 for juniors
The first three senior men and women receive prizes valued £40, £25, £20 respectively
The first three junior boys and girls U12 receive £7, £5, £3 respectively
The first three junior boys and girls U16 receive £7, £5, £3 respectively
First man and woman over 40 receives £15 each
First man and woman over 50 receives £15 each
First man and woman over 60 receives £15 each
- COURSE MARKING ETC
Refreshments are available on the course on a LandRover at Sulber Nick, and on the village green.
First Aid cover will be provided by St John Ambulance Brigade on the village green. A Land Rover with refreshment will be sited at the Sulber Nick checkpoint #4
The race circuit will be well marked by strategically placed flags, and race marshals will be stationed at 5 checkpoints to identify all runners by number. Marshals will have phone or radio contact with the village green and with each other.
Clapham Cave Rescue has been advised of the race details and will be on standby.
The roads through the village will be closed to traffic for the duration of the fell race and Street Market
- SAFETY RULES FOR COMPETITORS IN THE AUSTWICK AMBLE
1. The Austwick Amble fell race is run under Fell Runners Association (FRA) rules and safety guidelines which you should familiarise yourself. Please see http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/pdf/committee/14_Competitors_Safety_Rules_and_Equipment.pdf
2. All race participants must register and collect a number from the Registration Desk.
3. Once you have received your number, you are in the race! If you subsequently decide not to start the race, you must inform a race official and return your number. If you start the race then retire, you must inform the nearest marshal and you must notify race officials at the start/finish area as soon as possible.
4. Your number must be pinned to your race vest on the chest area. The number must be visible to race officials at all times during the race. Do not fold or mutilate the number. Please be prepared to call out your number if asked to do so by a race official.
5. You are required to carry "full standard kit" as required by the FRA. This means that you must carry the following during the race.
- Waterproof whole body cover
(Race organisers may relax these conditions if the local weather forecast allows. We will notify you on the day if we do relax these conditions).
6. There are 5 checkpoints in the race where your number will be recorded by race officials. Ensure your number is visible and call out your number if asked to do so.
7. Please familiarise yourself with the race route. Maps of the course can be purchased at the Registration Desk. Where the route is marked by flags, you must follow the route as flagged.
8. If you encounter an injured runner, please lend assistance if you can and report the injury to the nearest race marshal.
9. Fell running is hazardous! We (as organisers) will do the best we can to make the event as safe as practicable, but you (as a competitor) must accept primary responsibility for your own safety on the fells.
Enjoy your run and be safe !
Austwick Amble Race Route 2014
Start / Finish : Austwick village green. Clockwise circuit direction.
Checkpoint #1 Ladder stile GR 766702
Checkpoint #2 Cairn GR 766718
Checkpoint # 3 Nick Pot GR 770737
Checkpoint # 4 Sulber Nick finger post GR 778735
Checkpoint # 5 Crummack Farm GR 772715
SENIOR RACE ENTRY FORM:AUSTWICK AMBLE FELL RACE 26th MAY 2014
8 miles and 1200 ft ascent
Registration is open from 10:30am. Under 12 Junior Race starts at 11:45am. Under 16 Junior Race starts at 12:15pm. Senior Race starts at 1:00pm. Entry fee is payable on the day only, at £5
Course is fully marked with flags. Please refer to the route map on the board. There are 5 manned checkpoints on the course. Please ensure that you shout out your number to the marshals as you pass. Please keep to the recommended route and report through every checkpoint.
Please make sure that you report to the finish, and advise a marshal if you retire.
Drinks will be available at checkpoint #4 from a Land Rover, and also on the green at the finish. Other refreshments will be available during the day in the hall and in the Street Market.
The Fell Runners Association Ltd RACE NUMBER__________________________
FULL NAME _________________________________________________________________
PHONE NUMBER___________________________________VEHICLE REG________________
CLUB_____________________________________________DATE OF BIRTH_____________
CATEGORY (Circle below as appropriate)
MALE MU23 MSEN M40 M50 M60 M70
FEMALE WU23 WSEN W40 W50 W60 W70
I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS RACE IS HELD IN ACCORDANCE WITH BOTH THE RULES AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS OF THE FRA. I CONFIRM THAT I AM AWARE OF THE ORGANISERS INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS IN CONNECTION WITH THIS RACE.I CONFIRM THAT I HAVE NAVIGATIONAL SKILLS APPROPRIATE FOR THIS RACE AND WILL CARRY THROUGHOUT THE RACE ANY EQUIPMENT SPECIFIED EITHER BY THE FRA SAFETY REQUIREMENTS OR BY THE ORGANISER. I ACCEPT THE HAZARDS INVOLVED IN FELL RUNNING AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I AM ENTERING AND RUNNING THIS RACE AT MY OWN RISK. OTHER THAN THE ORGANISER’S LIABILITY FOR CAUSING DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY BY NEGLIGENCE, I CONFIRM THAT I UNDERSTAND THAT THE ORGANISER ACCEPTS NO LIABILITY TO ME FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY NATURE TO MYSELF OR MY PROPERTY ARISING OUT OF MY PARTICPATION IN THIS RACE.
PHONE NUMBER_(if different from emergency number given above)___________________________